Sunday, October 28, 2012

Halloween Movie Maddness: Steve Zissou DIY Costume


By: Mallory Jordan, moderately crafty

Don't have a costume figured out yet? Don't panic!

This costume is aimed towards those in need of an awesome Halloween get-up that doesn't cost a lot of cash. When in poverty, go to Goodwill!

Many local bloggers have jumped on the Goodwill train for easy and affordable costumes.
 I even found an entire Pinterest page filled with DIY Goodwill costumes.

Goodwill is actually selling a small selection of new costumes and accessories this year. However, I still want to keep the creative tradition and find my own pieces to a unique costume.

The heroic Steve Zissou is my Halloween inspiration this year. For those of you who have seen the Wes Anderson film, "The Life Aquatic," this is a pretty simple costume that costs too much in stores.

Photobucket
Photobucket  Store bought Costume -->
 $65.00-$70.00


Photobucket





Costume pieces purchased at Goodwill
Less than $10  -->
Make sure the look is monochromatic and matches. I have a zip up jacket, a t-shirt (a polo works as well), scrubs, and a red beanie cap.






Photobucket
The most important detail of the costume is the Zissou logo. There are multiple variations of the logo, but I am going to use a black Sharpie for the darker details/outline, and the light blue acrylic paint I used previously for my leaf project. Dark blue paint for the outline and yellow paint for the smaller "z"'s are other alternatives.




Photobucket



First, I use the Sharpie to make an outline for the large "Z" and heavily draw the small "z"'s on the upper left inside of the "Z" and the lower right of it.





Photobucket



After I have used a straight edge to make the outline around the logo with my Sharpie, I bring out my light blue acrylic paint. With the small brush, I paint inside the Sharpie line.


Photobucket
Photobucket


Finally, find some electrical tape or black duct tape (I prefer electrical because it is less shiny). This is for the holsters Team Zissou has around their legs.







Spread out the fabric so that the tape sticks between creases. This makes the tape looser and a better fit on the fabric. You don't want to make the tape tighter than the pant or the tape could break off when worn.


PhotobucketPhotobucketPut on the t-shirt, jacket with painted logo, scrub pants with the electrical tape for the "holster" and the red beanie for the final touch. Slip on some sneakers (Adidas preferably). Now you have the perfect, inexpensive Steve Zissou Costume!

For other last minute Halloween Goodies, click the link!

No comments:

Post a Comment