Friday, October 12, 2012

Playing with Your Food!

(By Lindsey Riley, The Crafting-Challenged Blogger)

Earlier this week, there was a recall on Kelogg's Mini-Wheats cereal for fear of metal fragments being present in boxes. It sounds like there was a faulty mechanism and there was a possibility that metal was packaged with the food.

Personally, I am never awake to eat breakfast food. I also am not a big fan of cereal, but I do love cereal boxes. I love walking down the grocery store aisle for cereal because there are hundreds of colorful boxes lining the shelves. All of them grab your attention one way or another, and I think that it's just cool. I know, I am strange!

As a child, I use to make various crafts with cereal and cereal boxes. Every year in elementary school, my mom and I would make a little mailbox out of the cereal box for my classmates to drop my Valentines cards in. I used to make play jewelry out of Cheerios and yarn and would then leave them outside for the wildlife to enjoy. Those were the days!

There's way more that you can do with cereal and its boxes these days than I ever imagined. You can do little things like make mosaics, postcards, and organizers. It's a great way to be green. Other ideas include:

Bookmarks
  • You need: A cereal box, scissors, one sheet of clear plastic contact paper, a hole punch, and a small amount of yarn or ribbon.
  • Open the bottom of the box and cut down one side so the box can lie flat. Use a pen or marker to trace the shape and size bookmark you want.
  • Then, after the bookmark has been cut out, seal it with contact paper. The plastic coat will making it more durable.
  • Decorate with your favorite designs!
 Sandals
  • What you need: Empty cereal box, scissors, pencil, duct tape
  •  Cut out the shoe shapes and straps. Tape the straps with the duct tape. Decorate as you wish!
 Beads
  •  What you need: Cereal box, scissors, varnish
  • Cut the flat sides of the boxes into thin and long triangles.
  • Roll the cardboard and then dip final product into varnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment