Tuesday, October 30, 2012

A Rainy Day Calls for a Little TLC

By: Mandy Whitaker
 
 
Prayers go out to those on the east coast who are enduring the effects of Hurricane Sandy.
 

Hey, Everyone!

 
According to the Weather Channel, at approximately 8 a.m., this morning, 8 million people are without power. Wind gusts of up to 96 mph have been recorded during the aftermath of the storm along the east coast.  After the storm has passed, cold air will be moving through the Midwest causing temperatures to drop to nearly 30 degrees.  Also, heavy snowfall is taking place in parts of Maryland, Tennessee and Pennsylvania.  Over 26 inches of snow has fallen in the western part of Maryland.
 
When I looked out my window this morning, I saw lots of rain and blowing trees. Yep, not the type of weather that makes me want to go outside! The Midwest is definitely seeing some of Sandy's attitude!
 
Are you stuck indoors because of mean, ol' Sandy?
 
Well...
 
What better excuse to have a little spa day!
 
I made this super simple body scrub with ingredients that are most likely in your kitchen already! This will get your skin soft and smooth!
 
 
 

What you will need:

 
1 cup White Sugar
1 cup Brown Sugar
Olive Oil (measure to preference)
A clear Jar (I bought mine at Hobby Lobby)
 
 
The sugars work as natural exfoliates and the olive oil contains both Vitamin E and oleic acid.  Oleic acid helps to soften the skin while Vitamin E improves the elasticity of the skin!

 Well that sounds perfect!

 
 First, pour both the white and brown sugar into a bowl and mix well.  Then, begin mixing in the olive oil. Start off with a little and mix in more when needed.  I personally like my scrubs more liquidy (is that even a word?). Just keep mixing in more olive oil until it reaches the texture of your liking!  When your body scrub is ready, pour the mixture into a jar.  I decided to tie a pink bow around my jar because, duh! How cute is that? TIP: choose a jar that has a bigger opening so it is easier to scoop out the scrub!
 
 
 
 When in the shower (I prefer while I have my conditioner in my hair), take some of the scrub and begin to put it all over your skin in circular motions to exfoliate! Wash off with warm water and admire how smooth your skin feels!
 
Put on a thicker body lotion because exfoliating your skin can sometimes make it a tad dry!  I recommend The Body Shop's Strawberry Body Butter! (Smells Amazing!)
 
Another option is to use your scrub while you have a face mask on! Why not? While your waiting the usual 10-15 minutes for your mask to work it's magic, why not exfoliate your body!? Perfect!  I recommend Queen Helene's Mint Julep Face Masque, Origins Clear Improvement Mask, or the Lush Cosmetic Catastrophe (in store)!
 
Once again, prayers go out to those on the east coast!
 

Happy Spa Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment