Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Day and a Room Makeover

By: Mandy Whitaker

Hey, Everyone!


Hope ya'll are doing well! 

 IT'S ELECTION DAY!


Everyone who is eligible to vote, better have!  Troops died for our freedom to vote, so you best not take it for granted!

Anyways...

The two presidential canidates are Barack Obama(D) and Mitt Romney(R) with vice presidents Joe Biden(D) and Paul Ryan(R).

Regardless of who you voted for, none can deny the dreamboat that is Paul Ryan. Am I right?

But, the candidates above aren't the only ones! Don't forget: John Gregg (D) and Mike Pence (R) for governor and Joe Donnelly (D) and Richard Mourdock(R) for the Senate.

These canidates are for the state of Indiana. To see more information on Indiana elections or your home state click here.

ABC has a live update of the 2012 election.  It is actually quite interesting, you can see Donald Trump voting and his claim that it's his "real hair." I beg to differ....


So, enough with all the election craziness!


How am I relating the election to room decor, you ask?

Well, if your presidential choice did not come out on top, and you feel like packing up and running for the border, makeover your room instead!

Stretching it? Yes. 


The following will show you how my room is set up, decorated, and organized, and hopefully will give some ideas on how you can makeover your room!


WARNING:  This post is going to be a little picture heavy, but that's only because my entire room is pink, so I got a bit wild taking pictures!

Being a college student, it's hard to make your room look how you truly want it. In my apartment, it has commercial grey carpeting and plain white walls that we aren't allowed to paint. So, I had to make the most of it, and I think I did a pretty good job! (For my decorating style, at least.)

The first picture is an overview of my room.  As you can see, lots of pink.  But, underneath my bed, I have large totes to keep many of my t-shirts, sweats, and sweatshirts.  I also have one that has my lesser fancy shoes in. (Fancier shoes shown later)  This actually cleans up much of the clutter that would be around my room because the totes just slide right under my bed! Also, you can see just the corner of a black rug I have in my room.  This obviously makes the grey carpet less ugly.

Here is my vanity and just a word of caution, I am a beauty product fanatic, as you will see. The top white drawers and pink drawers are my makeup, while the bottom pink drawers are my skincare products, extra backup products, and other hygiene related items. As you can see, my makeup brush holders from my previous post, are still being used.  It's a perfect way to keep my brushes organized.

I organize my makeup drawers into product type.  For example, this draw contains bronzers and highlighters.  This makes things easy for me to find things when I am looking for a certain product.  A tip for organization, in my actual vanity drawer I use an office supply holder to organize my makeup. (I got this pink one from Wal-Mart a long time ago.)  It works perfect to separate different makeup products and holds eyeliners and mascaras very well as seen here. 



















To keep my wristlets in one place I hang them on this cute hook I bought at Hobby Lobby for under $2.  It also is a good place to hold my keys because I am notorious for losing them in my room!

A quick look at my closet.  Again, living in an apartment, you may not have much room to hang your clothes.  I actually bought a separate bar that hangs from the original bar to hang my jeans and skirts.  It works perfect and instantly creates more room in my closet! Also, you can see in the lower left-hand corner that I keep all my flip-flops in a pink milk crate. (Wal-mart, around $5) I put my fancier shoes on the shelf above my clothes because I feel that they are sort of a decoration all on their own.  It keeps both pairs together and the sparkle looks cute on display!


















The hounds-tooth pillow on my chair was actually made to match the stool of my vanity.  The stool on my old vanity was plain white, but I think changing it to the hounds-tooth adds something extra as well as creates an extra throw pillow made with the same fabric to tie everything together. Also note: The Camaro calendar that doesn't at all match my decor, but that's alright, I have an obsession for Camaros. I keep my daily medications, Chapstick, and makeup wipes in my side table drawers. (For those late nights I just don't want get out of bed to do anything.)  These items by my bed make it super convenient.

This chandelier is one of my favorite things in my room.  It was originally a gold chandelier but was painted black with pink candles,  black pearls, and diamonds added to it.  Something old can always be changed into something much better like this old chandelier was!














This is an overview of my shelving system.  Again, I got this at a garage sale and it was just brown wood.  Painted white, it looks much better and frankly looks like a totally different piece of furniture!  I put pink Christmas lights on the top which I think adds to my room.  On the shelves, I lined up my lotions and not only does it look "decorative," it makes it easy to see what I want.  The silver baskets on either side are from Bath and Body works and are perfect for holding my perfumes and other lotions. (I think they are available around the holidays) The bottom pink and zebra boxes hold things that don't really have a place in my room. They are perfect because they look cute yet you can't see what is inside! (Which is good, because it's a mess!)



















The arrangement on top is made from various feathers, flowers, and beads.  I like it because it's different from the traditional flower arrangement.  (All supplies from Hobby Lobby) Another tip is to store nail polish in a vase. It's a cute decor item as well as convenient!



















Finally, my dresser.  My favorite piece in my room.  This was painted silver and had mirrors added to it.  It looks so fancy, I love it! I put my favorite nail polishes in a glass bowl on top of my dresser because I think it looks pretty reflected in the mirrors.



















 Another cheap decor tip: Take pictures yourself, put them in black and white, and place them in frames. So simple, but adds so much.  I took these pictures when I was in New York City, and they go perfect in my room!


I know this is ALOT.  But, I hope you found some, if not all helpful.  I hope this inspired you to redecorate your room because it really is fun!

Stay tuned to the election, but in the meantime DECORATE!


Have a good one, everybody!



No comments:

Post a Comment